Monday, December 20, 2004

Weekend, etc.

Christy and I had a good day together on her birthday. Had a nice, leisurely lunch together, did some shopping, etc. It was very nice to just have the day to spend together. My company's Christmas party was that same evening so we went to that and had a good time. Our friends who were watching Hannah at their house while we went to the party knew that it was Christy's birthday, so they had brownies and ice cream for us when we got back. Though it was already past Hannah's normal bedtime, Hannah didn't get left out of the festivities. She had ice cream and then didn't get to sleep until after 11:00pm. Also, while we were with our friends that evening they gave a Christmas gift for Hannah and I to share. It was a Playskool Millennium Falcon. I asked Hannah if she knew what it was and she said, "Star Wars." I pointed to one of the figures and asked her, "Who's that?" to which she correctly responded, "Chewbacca." I couldn't have been prouder!

The evening of the 15th was Hannah's Christmas program with her daycare. We got there in plenty of time to get Hannah where she was supposed to be but when we were ready to find a seat, much of the auditorium was full. We managed to find a decent seat in the front row of the balcony section. I was planning to take some pictures anyway (pictures added below - 12/22/04), so I figured I'd be in a good place to take all the pictures I wanted without being in the way of other people behind me. So, it's about an hour long program of which there was about one minute that we really wanted to see, right? So what happens during that one minute? That's right! You guessed it! Some idiot --> (this is the self-censored version) decides to stand right in front of us obstructing our only view of our only daughter in her first public performance. Christy's "excuse me" definitely had an edge, but was still more polite than my, "Hey! -- Buddy!" -- "Buddy" didn't take the hint. So I get up and explain to Buddy that there are people behind him that can't see with him standing there. He still doesn't move. Apparently, Buddy was searching for his idiot friends and, in a glorious stroke of genius, decided that he'd be better able to spot them from a balcony that extends over most of the floor below. So not only did we miss most of our daughter's performance, but the video that I was shooting is a mess due to Buddy's impeccable timing, so when we go back to watch it, we only see the very beginning and the very end of the performance with the middle consisting of jumpy video of the floor and ceiling of the auditorium and the brief exchange of words on the audio.

"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful" - Anton LaVey

Over the weekend, Christy and I did our annual Christmas treats making and baking marathon. It's a lot of work, but we always have a good time doing it. Moreover, the people who receive the Christmas treats always have a good time consuming them.

For now, Hannah seems to be doing fine. She seems to be over her illnesses and hopefully, that will hold through the next couple of weeks.

I've got a three day work week this week, then I'm off until January 4th! WooHoo!!



Films Recently Watched:

Twelve Monkeys (1995) dir. by Terry Gilliam

Christmas Vacation (1989) dir. by Jeremiah S. Chechik. Written and Produced by John Hughes.


Click for bigger versionClick for bigger version

No comments: