Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Page-a-day Madness!

My Dad Got me a Dilbert page-a-day calendar for Christmas. I've got it on my desk at work.

It's driving me crazy! I'm having a hard time only looking at one per day.

Am I the only one who has this affliction? Anybody ever give in and read weeks worth of pages in one day? Did this action meet with swift doom? I haven't given in yet. Just wondering.

I had my last page-a-day calendar a couple of years ago and it was origami and I didn't have this problem. Maybe I should fold yesterday's Dilbert page into a swan or something.

What about weekends? Do you read them Friday evening or Monday morning? Are there rules?
If there is a series of strips with cliff-hangers, I might just keel over!

Oh, and don't miss the Dilbert Blog.

Films Recently Watched:
Cinderella Man (2005) dir. by Ron Howard
Christy and I tried several times to see this when it was in theaters last year, but it never worked out. Christy got the DVD as a Christmas present. My girl loves her some boxing movies! We both liked this one, actually. I don't think it did very well at the box office, but it is really a pretty solid film from director, Ron Howard. Russell Crowe pitched this hard to Howard when they were making A Beautiful Mind a few years ago. You can see why right away. It's a good part for Crowe and he does an exellent job playing down-and-out boxer Jim Braddock. Other than Crowe and Renée Zellweger, Paul Giamatti (pictured, above right) is particularly strong in this one. The inspirational sports story set during the depression reminded us both of Seabiscuit. Definitely worth a rental.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) dir. by Mel Stuart

King Kong (1933) dir. by Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack
After seeing the new Peter Jackson remake, I really wanted to see this. This is another one of those classic films that is such an icon -- so much a part of our popular culture, that one might believe there is no need to actually see the movie. Having seen the newer before the older (we won't discuss the 1976 version), I can say that I wish I'd done it the other way around. There is no doubt that Peter Jackson is a fan of Cooper & Schoedsack's original as there are several references to it in Jackson's new film. These were lost on me and would probably be lost on anybody not familiar with the '33 version. Overall, I've got to say that I prefer the 2005 Kong over the original. I hope that I can appreciate the feat of accomplishment in visual effects that is represented by the original, but even beyond the advancements in technology, Peter Jackson's Kong is simply a more nuanced presentation of the story. More accessible; yes, but also more moving, though I'm sure, some would say, emotionally manipulative. For me, it works. I recommend you see both and decide for yourselves! The recent 2-disc DVD is the first for this film on DVD and leaves only 2 films from the AFI's 100 Films list that are not yet available on DVD: The African Queen (1951--#17) and The Jazz Singer (1927--#90), though both are said to be in production.

The Spiral Staircase (1946) dir. by Robert Siodmak

No comments: