Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SPC - 'Skill' #4

My skill this week: I can push a button!

At our annual family get-together (we don't call it a "Reunion") on July 4th, somebody (not me) suggested that we have a group photo taken.

"Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen" was what drifted through my mind, but remained unspoken.

Well, time passed; kids played in the pool; adults snacked and chatted indoors; we shared a meal together; played a few yard games; lit off a few fireworks at dusk, etc.

It wasn't until after the fireworks were finished and the light of the day was nearly gone that anybody mentioned the group photo again.

"There's no way," I thought. The light was all gone and I didn't see how anybody would organize this group of 31 (ranging in age from '1 to 92' like the Christmas song) to get them indoors. It's usually not long after the fireworks are done that people begin to think about heading home.

Fortunately, my cousin David was there and was able to motivate and organize everyone. He scouted a couple of locations, too. The garage was big enough, but not ideal for a group portrait like this, plus there was no seating besides a few lawn chairs. The living room seemed ideal, so we began setting up in there.

As David was setting up his camera and tripod, I asked him if he minded if I shot alongside him. He didn't, so I ran out and grabbed my tripod, too. When I got back, I noticed that he was shooting with a Nikon D70. I wondered if my wireless remote that works on my Nikon D40 would also work on his D70. One way to find out, right? I found the drive mode button on his D70 and set both of our cameras to shoot when I pressed the button on the remote.

I can push a button

I suspect that David has an image very similar to this on his camera, because it worked! Go Nikon!

David continued getting everyone fit in the frame, my generation ('the cousins') standing in the back row, parents of the cousins seated in the middle, children of the cousins seated on the floor in front. Voila!



Like I said, he set it all up. All I had to do was push the button!

See others' skills at Self Portrait Challenge.

No comments: