Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Arrr!

Ahoy! Happy 'Talk Like A Pirate Day'!!!

How this crazy holiday evaded me all these years, I'll never know. It its honor, I will attempt to type like a pirate for the rest of this post:

mxdfmxfdmx fdmjn xdf,mxdf ,.zsdm,xdf jhmnxdf m nx m nx mxdf jhmzajmajkuseksuksujw43u43uj k,xserij u, jesr, u se uj,sexrujzezwauzuj,uj, sez uj,ujhujazwu,awzeiuoet!#RWEAFfdajkl;jk;lqtuiop5413uioprtgangadkjl;nmvdznfeaerhj5132853 _
nmvdajkl][teqwuipoteqw980ateklj;vakljqerwquiopgdajkbvcn fdajkl;

ajkkl;jklefqwjiop1342fu890fasjkl;dvj[a[rea/df;lkjeqwioteqru=eq-0wfgwejkl;fdsajk
uipotqegdnklvdakvczxm,.kjl;fDAJKL;TEgbakjl;_
kjlqefkjl1613464qtajkldagjklgfbjkdUiotqedjaIOjkdajkl
ajkfeqjklqefiougadsuioqejklgdjkl;gda[p[]pjkladfkjl k3tre

__________________________


Just kidding.

Anyway, feel free to spout off some piratey talk for the rest of the day (what little's left, that is). I mean, on what other day can you mention 'bunghole' at home and get away with it?
(DISCLAIMER: if you actually say 'bunghole' at home and get clobbered, despite it being 'talk like a pirate day,' don't come crying to me, ya land lubber!)

Yaaaaars Truly,



Black Harry Rackham



Like anyone confronted with the harshness of robbery on the high seas, you can be pessimistic at times. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network


Films Recently Watched:

The Dirty Dozen (1967) helmed by Robert Aldrich
This be what I call me twelve best mateys -- Blimey! I never knew they made a movie 'bout 'em!

Mogambo (1953) helmed by John Ford
Lots o' great scenery and safari footage 'ere. In this movie, Clark Gable, woos two different beauties while on safari, one o'em, played by Grace Kelly, be already married!
--from IMDb trivia: some censors in Europe refused t'allow an adulterous relationship to be portrayed on film, so they altered the script so that the married couple would, instead, be brother and sister, but they didn't remove a scene where they share a bed together. Adultery=bad -- Incest=OK? That sounds like it could be from the pirate code.
[/pirate language]
Beyond the Gates of Splendor (2002) dir. by Jim Hanon
A documentary about the tragic, true story of Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming and Roger Youderian; Christian missionaries to the Waodani tribe in Ecuador who were violently killed in 1956 by those they were attempting to reach. Then, the inspirational, true story of several of the wives who successfully reached out to the same people who had killed their husbands, not only reconciling themselves with the Waodani people, but also immediately ending generations of unbridled vengeance killings within the tribe.
I have yet to see Jim Hanon's other movie, End of the Spear, which chronicles these same events, but in the form of a reenactment, but I hope to, soon.
(sorry, I just couldn't do that to this one)
[resume pirate language]

Garden State (2004) helmed by Zach Braff

My Friend Flicka (1943) helmed by Harold D. Schuster
I'm a little bit interested in seeing t' new movie, Flicka, due out in October based on t' same novel by Mary O'Hara. I know I'd seen bits o' t' '43 film before, but not t' whole thin'. It be done very well. It will be interestin' t' see how t' new version compares.

Moulin Rouge (2001) helmed by Baz Luhrmann
I heard Elton John's, "Your Song" and got t' urge to see this wonderful film again. I enjoy every moment o' it every time I watch it.

American Beauty (1999) helmed by Sam Mendes
Same here. This be a masterfully created, original film and I always enjoy it.

The Hidden Fortress (1958) helmed by Akira Kurosawa
This had been on me 'to see' list for a long time as George Lucas credits this film as an inspiration for his Star Wars films. Mainly, t' element that be used is that t' story be told from t' viewpoint o' t' two lowest characters, or bilge rats. In Star Wars, tis t' droids, in Hidden Fortress tis t' two fools.

The Jerk (1979) helmed by Carl Reiner
This is another one that I'd seen bits o' before. I was familiar with several o' t' gags and one-liners, but I'd never watched it from beginnin' t' end. When Steve Martin opens t' movie with t' line, "I was born a poor black child," ye know yee're in for a fun ride. :-)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) helmed by Steven Spielberg
Revisitin' this excellent film. It still works nearly 30 years later. T' family life sequences shown, especially in t' Neary home, be just perfect. Seein' this again kind o' makes me want t' watch another one o' me all-time favorites, Contact. Hopefully, I'll be able t' watch that one again, soon.

No comments: