Wednesday, November 24, 2004

DVD cover art subtleties

Man, "subtleties" just looks wrong to me. I've checked it in two different dictionaries and all signs point to the spelling being correct, but it can't be!

subtleties
subtelties
suttelties
suttleties
subtletys
subteltys
subtletease :-)

Oh well...I guess I'll stick with what the dictionary says.

Films Recently Watched:
Miracle (2004) dir. by Gavin O'Connor

I remember when this first came out, I saw somebody comparing the U.S. release with the Canadian release. I thought it was interesting, so I thought you might, too!




Notice the subtle addition of "one of the" on the Canadian version:

U.S. version: "The true story behind the greatest moment in sports history."

Canadian version: "The true story behind one of the greatest moments in sports history."

And, of course the not-so-subtle addition of the American flag and the USA team emblem on the U.S. version.

I can understand the reasons behind these changes from a marketing perspective (milk the patriotism for the U.S. market) and I don't blame Disney for making two different covers. Frankly though, many, American or Canadian, etc., would argue that the U.S. defeat of the Russian national team in 1980 at Lake Placid is not the greatest moment in sports history, though, in my opinion, it definitely deserves a mention in any top 10 list. Again, though, I understand the desire from the marketing side to use those superlatives.

Regardless, I enjoyed the film. Frankly, with all the nonsense going on in sports recently, I was in need of a feel-good sports movie, and this definitely fit the bill.

No comments: