Sunday, February 09, 2014

SPC - 'Favorite Songs' - #1

Cruel Summer

Sometimes, when I have a bunch of snow shoveling to do, I'll take the time to get my iPod and earbuds and listen to music to pass the time. I almost always have my iPod set for full shuffle and with 3000+ songs, I just never know what I'm going to get next. I have found that certain songs take on unintended meaning while shoveling snow:
Vivaldi's "Spring"
Adele's Bond theme, "Skyfall"
Just about anything by The Beach Boys....

One time, Bananarama's "Cruel Summer" came on and I was amused by the irony.

When I decided to do "Favorite Songs" as a SPC theme for the month of February, it occurred to me that I might employ that irony with this song and a shot of one dressed inappropriately for the elements in this "cruel summer."

I can't hear this song without thinking of the montage from Karate Kid when Daniel is arriving at school on his bike, attending soccer practice and chatting with Ali (with an "i").

:-)

No comments: