Monday, October 02, 2006

SPC - 'imperfection' #1

The theme for October (is it October already?) at Self Portrait Challenge is 'imperfection.'

In their words:

Look beyond the surface of your life, dig into your imperfect self and reveal it to us. I want to see the down and dirty you, the messy, gross and ugly you, the side of yourself that you always try to hide, give us some insight into your dreadful secrets. This can be your physical self or your personal space or within your wider life. Be not afraid!

Well despite their orders, I am a bit afraid, not that I make any claim on perfection, but I generally don't try to bring attention to those items that I consider imperfections, either. Well here goes...

nailbiting

I bite my fingernails. There, I said it. I do it without thinking about it. It's not only when I'm nervous, either, it's just about any time I don't have anything else to do with my hands, I guess. And it's not just casual nailbiting either. It's bite-them-to-the-quick-until-they-hurt-and-bleed nailbiting. I have for as long as I can remember. I don't know why.

My Mom would constantly get after me about it, but it made little difference. My wife is the only one who's managed some success in this area. She has offered to trim and file my nails many times. A couple of times, I have stopped for a few weeks at a time and Christy has dutifully cared for my nails as long as they last, but inevitibly, old habits return and her services are no longer needed.

I realize that it's unsanitary, uncouth, and generally gross. Heck; the few brief times I have had fingernails, I've even noticed that they come in handy from time to time. But I can't quit!!

No comments: