Wednesday, May 31, 2006

SPC -- Final Introductions

Because today is the final day in May, the Self Portrait Challenge theme is still "Introduce Yourself."

Hannah (Age 4) and Me

I am a father.

Of course, Bill Cosby would say that having only one child "doesn't count" but for the purposes of this entry, we'll say that it does. :-)

I don't mind telling you that Christy (my wife) was ready for this whole parenthood thing before I was. If we had waited until I was "ready" we probably would have never had a child at all. I am fully aware that the reason for this is my own selfishness. Selfishness is an ugly trait that I can easily spot (and criticize) in others, but is often overlooked when I gaze at myself in the mirror, though it is probably my biggest fault. I have often thought to myself, and occasionally said to others, "Imagine a world without selfishness." It would be a better world, no doubt. Much closer to home, the phrase should be, "Imagine a Jeremy without selfishness." I would be a better husband, father, friend, employee -- a better person. Yes, easier said than done, but with God's help, I will continue to try to consider others better than myself.

I don't want to give the impression that I became a father reluctantly or that I dislike it now. Quite the opposite. It was a willful decision on my part and I love it. Yeah, there are ups and downs. Yeah, there are moments when I wish I could simply do what I want to do. Yeah, there are moments when my own daughter just about drives me crazy.

But these feelings are far outweighed when I hear, "Daddy -- I love you." And when she laughs. And when she asks me to make her into a "fruit roll-up" after her bath (which involves rolling her up in the comforter on our bed). And so many other moments big and small that I wouldn't trade for anything.

All that to say that I'm glad that I didn't let one of my biggest faults deny me of what has turned out to be one of my greatest joys!

Hannah (Age 2 months) and MeBonus picture:



Though, it couldn't possibly be a "self portrait". Christy must have taken this one. It's one of my favorites. Good job, sweetie!!

No comments: