Saturday, January 15, 2005

Homeless...Again!

You're not gonna believe this.


Due to a Magnesium fire that has made national news, we've been forced from our home yet again.

We left home for the evening mostly unaware that anything was going on. We saw a few helicopters, but didn't know what they were doing. We went to get a bite to eat and then were going to an open house at our church for some friends. I had forgotten a few things at work, so I drove on up to Alexandria to grab those. As soon as I turned South to come back to Anderson I saw the fire and smoke plume (that's from about 12 miles away, well after dark).

I managed to snap a couple of pictures, but only from a distance; when I can get home to get them off the camera, I'll add them to this post [EDIT: pictures added below 01/18/05].

We were getting some conflicting stories on whether or not were were included in the evacuation area, but I called the Sheriff's office and told them where I lived and they told me that I wouldn't be allowed to go home.

Last night, we stayed with friends from church. We'll wait and see what the rest of the weekend holds. Authorities are indicating that it may be one to three days before they can give the "all-clear" based on air quality.

I'll try to keep you posted.

And in case you're wondering...Yes, I called my mother.


Added these two pictures 01/18/2005 - I took these from Shadyside park (about 5 miles away from the blaze).



No comments: