Friday, December 18, 2009

Photo Friday - 'Best of 2009'

It's hard to look back at a year's worth of photos and say, "this is my best of the year." I'm not big about "best" or "favorite" anything, so my task is doubly difficult.

What I've chosen here generated some buzz (for me, at least) on Flickr when I posted it and I am quite happy with how it turned out, plus, I don't think I've posted it here previously.

Freak Out and Ferris Wheel

This was taken on the Midway at the Indiana State Fair. It was a case where a bit of patience definitely paid off -- and a bit of serendipity didn't hurt either!

I was experimenting with some long exposures on the moving rides. I think I was shooting an angle on the ferris wheel when I noticed this ride had gotten into my frame accidentally. I noticed the cool pattern given off by this ride's dual motion. This ride, named "Freak Out," both swings occupants in a pendulum fashion and spins them, simultaneously, producing this pattern using a long exposure.

I went around to the other side of the ride and found a spot that I could put my tripod that was mostly out of the way of foot traffic and had some compositional elements that I found pleasing, as well.

The problem was the lights on the passenger seats didn't stay on all the time. They seemed to turn on and off intermittently and each ride only had one or two full-height swings, so it took a few tries to get one with which I was happy.

No comments: